Why Sparke Helmore?
We’re a firm where you can reach your true potential
Because we are interested, we take the time to get to know you. We want to know about your hopes and aspirations and what your concerns might be as you navigate your career and balance work and life. It’s how we help you reach your true potential.
In joining Sparke Helmore, you will join a firm that values everyone’s opinions. That's why we have structured feedback programs and informal conversations to find out how we can keep making our firm the best it can be. In fact, in our last engagement survey, our people told us that our managers are great at building teams, providing recognition, valuing contribution and being responsive.
We want to be a market-leading Australian professional services business that our clients choose for outstanding people, legal expertise and our ability to connect. It’s important to us and we expect you, if you decide to become a part the team at Sparke Helmore, to want to be part of that vision too. It’s about working together with each other and with our clients, who are at the heart of everything we do.
We think that's why we get interesting work from great clients, clients who have been with us for many years and love working with us as much as we value working with them. Many of them are household names including ASX 100 companies, international insurers and other multi-nationals, and large government departments and agencies.
We know that you might be nervous considering a job move in the current market – it’s a big step. But we also know that we have a long history of growth and that we’ve survived and thrived since opening our doors for business in 1882 – through two World Wars, the Great Depression, the Global Financial Crisis and now COVID-19. We’re confident we will continue to thrive for years to come because we know how to weather the toughest of storms.
Read our value proposition to help you decide if Sparke Helmore is right for you.
Meet some of the people who work at Sparke Helmore.
Reach your true potential as part of our Commercial Insurance team
Our Commercial Insurance Practice Group is on the look-out for talented lawyers, just like you. We are one of the largest insurance practices in Australia – and growing exponentially year on year – with a genuine national footprint of insurance experts across our nine offices.
We’re the first choice for insurers who require deeply researched legal opinions balanced against sound commercial and strategic advice. We act for all the major Australian insurers and many global ones too, through our connection with the London market. There’s a mutual respect in our relationships and a shared passion for the betterment of the industry.
We can give you unparalleled opportunity to grow and deepen your expertise through collaboration with others just as enthusiastic about insurance as you are.
So, what are you waiting for?
Read our Commercial Insurance value proposition and find out why we’re different.
Watch this video and hear from recent joiners – and a "lifer" – on why our Commercial Insurance team might just be the place for you.
And there’s more … so much more!
We recognise people value benefits differently. That's why our benefits program is wide ranging so that everyone can find something that appeals to them. We’re sure you will find something to love about what we have to offer.
We have worked hard to ensure we can provide you with a meaningful range of financial and non-financial rewards to encourage you and to recognise great work. These include:
- market competitive salaries
- an incentive scheme for eligible staff who exceed expectations on financial contribution and overall performance
- Shine@Sparke peer nominated rewards, and
- spotter's referral program, that pays up to $10,000 for successful referrals of legal and non-legal employees.
We place a high priority on your development. We offer:
- formal learning development program
- career mentoring, technical and leadership development courses
- one-on-one training secondment opportunities, and
- financial and leave support for further education.
With a capability framework that defines the key skills and performance indicators for every role and provides clarity around career development pathways, we are all about helping you achieve your goals.
We appreciate that finding balance between working hard and spending time doing other things can be a juggling act. We will support you to maintain a healthy work/life balance by providing a variety of sporting and social activities, lifestyle and health seminars, and tips and innovative and flexible work arrangements so you can spend more time with your family and friends and pursue your interests or even further study.
To help you to achieve the balance you want, we offer part-time, compressed work weeks, mobility and varied hours working options.
Diversity & inclusivity
Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2020 builds on existing good practices we’ve established in the areas of Gender, Flexibility and Accessibility. The Strategy broadened the firm’s first diversity and inclusion program with two additional focus areas: LGBTIQ+ and Culture & Identity.
The firm’s strategic priority areas, aligned to the firm’s 2020 business strategy are:
- Gender – our goal is to attract, develop and retain top female talent and to increase gender representation in senior leadership roles and all decision-making forums.
- Flexibility – we are embedding strategies to support flexibility ‘when’, ‘where’ and ‘how’ we work across the firm, and to be more effective and efficient while managing roles and responsibilities within and outside of our workplace.
- Access/Ability – we are providing access and opportunities to people with illness, injury or disability so that all people are valued, respected, and can contribute to all aspects of the firm.
- LGBTIQ+ – we are creating a workplace culture where all people can be open about their sexual orientation without fear of discrimination.
- Culture and identity – we are building awareness and understanding of different cultures and identities across the firm, our clients and the communities in which we operate.
Pro bono work enables us to meet our ethical obligation to enhance access to justice. We provide legal advice and services on a no fee or substantially reduced-fee basis to non-profit organisations and disadvantaged individuals.
We support our community through staff participation in community and philanthropic activities, such as volunteering, mentoring, resource-sharing and fundraising.
We support sustainability by sourcing environmentally responsible products and managing and monitoring our resource consumption.