Why Sparke Helmore?
Because we are interested, we take the time to know our people, what their hopes and aspirations are and what's concerning them. We value their opinions, and that's why we have structured feedback programs and informal conversations to find out how we can keep making our firm better and a better place to work.
In our last engagement survey, our people told us that our managers are great at building teams, providing recognition, valuing contribution and being responsive.
Clients and work
We want to be a market-leading Australian professional services business that our clients choose for outstanding people, legal expertise and our ability to connect. We expect the people who join our team to want that too.
To get there, we work together and put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
We think that's why we get interesting work from great clients, many of whom are household names, ASX 100 companies, international insurers and other multi-nationals, and large government departments and agencies.
Benefits - generous and thoughtful
We recognise people value benefits differently. That's why Thrive@Sparke, our benefits program, has a wide range of benefits so that everyone can find something that appeals to them.
- social and sporting events
- half-day birthday leave
- community support opportunities
- discounted movie tickets
- subsidised pilates, yoga and circuit classes
- fresh fruit
- ability to purchase additional leave
- innovative work practices
- career breaks
- generous paid parental leave provisions
- access to emergency childcare
- subsided flu shots
- health and wellbeing seminars
- employee assistance program
- income protection insurance
- salary sacrifice opportunities
- SparkeSmartSaver - our online discounts for everyday purchases
- further education
We have worked with our staff to ensure we provide a meaningful range of financial and non-financial rewards to encourage and recognise great work. These include:
- market competitive salaries
- an incentive scheme for eligible staff who exceed expectations on financial contribution and overall performance
- Shine@Sparke peer nominated rewards, and
- spotter's referral program, that pays up to $10,000 for successful referrals of staff.
We place a high priority on developing our people. We offer:
- formal learning development program
- career mentoring technical and leadership development courses
- one-on-one training secondment opportunities, and
- financial and leave support for further education.
With a capability framework that defines the key skills and performance indicators for every role and provides clarity around career development pathways, we are helping our people to achieve their goals.
We appreciate that finding balance between working hard and spending time doing other things can be a juggling act. We support our people with maintaining this balance by providing a variety of sporting and social activities, lifestyle and health seminars, and tips and innovative work arrangements so they can spend more time with family and pursue their interests or further study.
To help people to achieve the balance they want, we offer part-time, compressed work weeks, mobility and varied hours working options.
Diversity & inclusivity
Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2020 builds on existing good practices we’ve established in the areas of Gender, Flexibility and Accessibility. The Strategy broadened the firm’s first diversity and inclusion program with two additional focus areas: LGBTIQ+ and Culture & Identity.
The firm’s strategic priority areas, aligned to the firm’s 2020 business strategy are:
- Gender – our goal is to attract, develop and retain top female talent and to increase gender representation in senior leadership roles and all decision-making forums.
- Flexibility – we are embedding strategies to support flexibility ‘when’, ‘where’ and ‘how’ we work across the firm, and to be more effective and efficient while managing roles and responsibilities within and outside of our workplace.
- Access/Ability – we are providing access and opportunities to people with illness, injury or disability so that all people are valued, respected, and can contribute to all aspects of the firm.
- LGBTIQ+ – we are creating a workplace culture where all people can be open about their sexual orientation without fear of discrimination.
- Culture and identity – we are building awareness and understanding of different cultures and identities across the firm, our clients and the communities in which we operate.
Pro bono work enables us to meet our ethical obligation to enhance access to justice. We provide legal advice and services on a no fee or substantially reduced-fee basis to non-profit organisations and disadvantaged individuals.
We support our community through staff participation in community and philanthropic activities, such as volunteering, mentoring, resource-sharing and fundraising. In 2013, we launched the Sparke Helmore community grant, which will enable staff to support a specific community activity. The grant consists of $10,000 in funds and 10 days' leave to run the activity.
We support sustainability by sourcing environmentally responsible products and managing and monitoring our resource consumption.