Diversity & Inclusion
At Sparke Helmore we are proud of the steps that we have taken to build a modern, diverse and inclusive law firm.
We are also aware that our firm, and the legal profession as a whole, has much to improve to ensure that we are building sustainable businesses that respond to and reflect the communities in which we operate.
Our vision is to be a market-leading Australian professional services business that our clients choose for outstanding people, legal expertise and our ability to connect. The cornerstone of our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy is our understanding that diversity of thought delivers innovation and better business outcomes for our clients, our people and our firm. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is also part of our aspiration to be regarded as a leading employer in the markets in which we operate.
To deliver outstanding legal services to our clients, it takes a team of outstanding people with a broad range of ideas and experiences. Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy has five focus areas with concrete objectives and appropriate resources for implementation and achieving success.
- Gender - Our goal is to attract, develop and retain top female talent and to increase gender representation in senior leadership roles and all decision-making forums.
- Flexibility - We aim to embed strategies to support flexibility "when, where and how" we work across the firm and to be more effective and efficient while managing roles and responsibilities in and out of the workplace.
- Access/ability - We will provide access and opportunities for people with illness, injury or disability and ensure that all of our people are valued and respected so that they can contribute fully to all aspects of life at the firm.
- LGBTIQ+ - We are creating a workplace culture where all people feel they can be open about their sexual orientation without fear of discrimination.
- Culture and identity - We are building awareness and understanding of different cultures and identities across the firm, our clients and the communities in which we operate.
Our objectives for diversity and inclusion are integral to the business strategy of our firm, and are supported by our senior leadership. Our Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, co-chaired by Board Member and Partner Gillian Davidson and Kate Rimer, Director of People and Culture, comprises senior leaders from across the firm, including our National Managing Partner, Phillip Salem.
Our recruitment strategies, performance metrics and leadership targets reflect our commitment to increasing diversity and inclusion. As a firm we engage with our clients in championing diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and with our colleagues in the legal industry.
We are proud of what we have achieved, but we know that we can do better to ensure that we are creating a sustainable business where everyone can flourish and deliver their best to our clients.