Banking & Finance
What we do
- Asset finance—residual value bonding, credit enhancement and asset financings across a range of asset classes, including aircraft, large plant and equipment, motor vehicles, rolling stock, ships and yellow goods
- Business banking & SME lending—facility, security and credit support structuring
- Custody & trustee advisory—note issues, structured financings, investment schemes, property syndicates and trusts
- Leveraged & acquisition finance—structuring domestic and cross-border LBOs, bid financings (bid documents and strategy), public to privates, management buy-outs/buy-ins, mezzanine finance, debt/equity hybrids and inter-creditor arrangements
- Private banking—structuring and financing high net worth and family trust investment vehicles, security and credit support structuring, bespoke advisory and transactional support services
- Project & infrastructure finance—risk assessment and management, structuring project documentation, limited and non-recourse financings
- Real estate finance—investment and development (commercial, industrial, residential and mixed use), mergers and acquisitions, joint venture structuring and financing, REITs fund managers and syndicates
- Restructuring—recapitalisations, loan asset sales, distressed investing, pre-insolvency advice, directors' duties, standstill arrangements and formal insolvencies
- SMSF lending—structuring and documenting SMSF limited recourse borrowing arrangements, complex SMSF transactions (including syndicated, co-ownership and ungeared special purpose unit trust arrangements involving multiple SMSF and/or other non-SMSF stakeholders), superannuation legislation (SIS Act and associated regulations) and wider financial services law compliance and policy advice
What others say
"We had an excellent experience working with the team on the debt negotiations for a recent private equity transaction. At all stages we felt entirely comfortable that the process was running smoothly and we appreciated being able to draw on the expertise and market knowledge of the team." Yin Shum, Crescent Capital Partners
"Sparke Helmore attracts praise for its 'high level of industry knowledge, and its commercial approach'. Ben Burney (who is 'blessed with a strong work ethic and can-do attitude'), Adam Fuller and the rest of the team focus on mid-market transactions". Banking & Finance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
"Sparke Helmore is a 'leader in the mid-market space'. The 'fantastic' Ben Burney and Adam Fuller are key partners". Banking & Finance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014
To protect and preserve the interest of investors, AET instructed us to advise on the trust arrangements and subsequently commence proceedings on behalf of AET in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Our team advised CentralNic Group, an AIM-listed internet registry service provider based out of the UK, on the Australian aspects of its global debt and equity raising, and its financing of various Australian and New Zealand acquisitions.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised Centuria on its funding of the acquisitions of 10 Spring Street and 175 Castlereagh Street, Sydney, 441 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne and 19 Corporate Drive, Cannon Hill, Queensland.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised Centuria on the multi-bank financing of its recent bid for the GPT Metro Office Fund.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised Crescent Capital on the funding of its investments in Pentair Water Solutions, Breezway Australia and Lifehealthcare Group.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised ICBC on the funding of Fu Wah International's purchase of the Park Hyatt Hotel, Melbourne.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised Investec on its funding of Crescent Capital's off market bid for ClearView Wealth Limited.
Ben Burney and his team advised St.George on its funding of Alceon's acquisition of sub-regional shopping centres in Victoria and NSW from Mirvac Group.
Ben Burney and his team recently advised Westpac on its $205 million funding of the IPO of GDI Property Group.
Our team advised Westpac Banking Corporation on its financing of Heathley Asset Management's acquisition of five residential aged care freehold sites in South Australia from Infinite Aged Care in partnership with Next Capital.