Sparke Helmore Consulting
Sparke Helmore Consulting (SHC) has been established to spearhead Sparke Helmore’s growing move into allied services with an initial focus on providing Tax Advisory and Business Consulting to complement the core legal services that Sparke Helmore Lawyers provides to its clients. SHC offers an integrated and seamless transition between legal and non-legal services, moving up and down the scale of involvement as an individual matter requires.
Headed up by Jonathan Doy, SHC focuses on being a provider of holistic strategic advice to clients covering all aspects of their organisational needs. Before Jonathan joined Sparke Helmore in January 2018, he was a Senior Partner at PwC and Crowe Horwath and before that with EY. Jonathan has worked with leading local and international companies across all major industries and has extensive specialist knowledge of tax and the broader business implications of transactions as well as Australian Federal/State Revenue Office compliance interactions and disputes.
Jonathan is supported by Bruce McDonald. Before joining Sparke Helmore in August 2019, Bruce was a member of the PwC Consulting leadership team for eight years, spent time as Vice President Consulting at Cognizant and was also at PPB Advisory when it merged with PwC. Bruce has outstanding experience in Health and Government as well as exposure to the Telco, Technology and Banking sectors.
The tax landscape is complex and constantly changing, with increasing levels of scrutiny around tax strategies, governance and risk management. We collaborate with you and work closely with our core legal capability to minimise tax risk and maximise opportunities, going deep into the commerciality of your obligations to optimise the organisational outcomes.
Our focus within the Tax Advisory area is two-fold:
- Transactions—Whether acquiring assets or a business or divesting, we take a proactive approach early in the life cycle and can be involved in setting up and structuring the transaction including full commercial and tax due diligence, ensuring from the outset that the transaction is managed for success. We can also feed into the legal elements of the process including supporting the drafting of agreements and other documentation.
- Tax controversy—We have a positive relationship with the tax authorities and are well-versed in managing interactions with those authorities in a professional and proactive manner. We can effectively deal with scrutiny from the authorities—from audit, to review, to objection—and can draw on legal professional privilege as required.
We can also independently examine your internal and external tax functions including resourcing, assessing the function’s connectivity with the broader finance function and ensuring your organisation meets its compliance obligations while delivering tax effective outcomes.
Sparke Helmore Consulting has deep expertise in all areas of tax—Federal (direct and indirect) and State (indirect taxes)—and works both domestically and internationally. We also have significant industry sector credentials with a particular specialism around the lifecycle of a property transaction—from acquisition, ownership and development through to divestment.
The demands placed on organisations in the current economic environment to grow, change and optimise as well as create value for owners and shareholders, are substantial. We work with you to ask the right questions to get to the root of an issue and help your organisation continue to evolve.
SHC can respond to your business as well as your legal challenges in a seamless non-legal to legal transition. We offer an alternative, independent viewpoint and objectively interrogate your internal decision-making, supporting alignment of strategic objectives to the desired organisational outcomes. We do this through our highly-specialised research and analysis capabilities.
Our focus within Business Consulting is to make your business “match fit” from a performance perspective and help you deliver on your business strategy. Whether through improvements to your Operating Model(s), operational processes, costs or function effectiveness, we will partner with you for success. Our expertise includes:
- Deal support—Offering pre- and post- deal assistance, as well as operational due diligence and project management at execution stage.
- Performance Improvement—Working with functions and organisations to improve performance and deliver on strategy.
- Buy/sell facilitation and commercial introductions—Leveraging bank and non-bank relationships to help find sources of finance and assist with equity and debt structures. SHC is also skilled in intricate fee negotiations with other service providers to support you in a deal context together with preparation of mandates, retainers, term sheets and Information Memorandums.
- Optimal structures—Investigating and advising on optimal organisational structures from a tax, legal and operational perspective including joint ventures and partnership structures.
Disclaimer: Sparke Helmore Consulting does not provide investment or financial advice, and does not hold an AFSL.